The codice fiscale is a personal identification number (similar to the Canadian Social Insurance Number) assigned by the Agenzia delle Entrate (Italian Revenue Agency), and serves to identify every Italian citizen (or eligible foreign citizen) in their interactions with Italian government offices and agencies, no matter where they reside. The codice fiscale is necessary for all fiscal (taxation) or legal transactions, and is valid for the holder’s lifetime.
The codice fiscale, consists of 16 characters based on the person’s surname, name, year, month and date of birth, sex and place of birth.
If you reside within this Consular jurisdiction and wish to obtain a codice fiscale, please submit the following documents by email at the address email@example.com or by regular mail providing a self-addressed and pre-paid return envelope, or by appointment sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 613 232 2401:
- the application form, duly completed;
- your valid photo ID;
- your birth certificate, to confirm your personal information;
- your marriage certificate (if your photo ID is in your married name only)*;
- copy of Canadian driver’s license with updated address or other proof of address (utility bill, lease agreement, etc.).
* Please note that Italian legislation requires that the codice fiscale be issued with the information provided on the applicant’s birth certificate.
If you are requesting a codice fiscale on behalf of another person, that person must provide written authorization for you to do so.
If you are requesting a codice fiscale for a minor, valid photo ID for one of the parents is also required.
If you are requesting a codice fiscale for a person who is deceased, both the death certificate of the deceased and your valid photo ID are required.
If you have lost your codice fiscale, you may request a replacement copy from this Embassy by submitting the documents listed above, as applicable.