REACQUIRING ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP
Since 16th August 1992 (introduction of law 91/92), obtaining another citizenship does not imply losing Italian citizenship. Only Italian nationals born in Italy who were naturalised Canadian before 16th August 1992 lost the right to Italian citizenship. They can however reacquire it, and still maintain their Canadian citizenship, by transferring the legal residency in Italy:
1. by signing a declaration:
- directly at the Municipality of residence in Italy;
- or alternatively at the Italian Embassy/Consulate and taking up residence in Italy no later than one year from the date of the declaration.
2. automatically after having transferred their residence formally in Italy for one year.
Those who want to reaquire the Italian citizenship by signing a declaration at this Consular Office should send an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying “Reacquisition of Italian citizenship” in the subject line.
This consular Office will check if the certificate of Canadian citizenship has already been sent to Italy.
Please find below the list of documents required:
- Valid I.D. (Canadian passport if available);
- Proof of residence (utility bill, driver license with current address);
- “Estratto per riassunto dell’atto di nascita” to be obtained by the Italian Municipality of birth registration;
- Italian passport (if available);
- Certificate of Canadian citizenship with day, month and year of naturalization;
- Receipt of payment of 250 euros fee.
The bank transfer receipt must list:
Beneficiary Account Name: “MINISTERO DELL’INTERNO D.L.C.I. – CITTADINANZA”; address: Via Cavour 6, 00184 ROMA
Reason for payment: Citizenship Application name and surname of the applicant;
International Bank Account Number (IBAN code): IT54D0760103200000000809020;
Receiving Bank Name: POSTE ITALIANE S.P.A.
Receiving Bank BIC/SWIFT code: BPPIITRRXXX.
While submitting the above mentioned documents, the applicant will also sign a declaration stating his/her willingness to move his/her residency to Italy within one year from the declaration.
It is the responsibility of the interested party to verify with the authorities in Italy the requirements for the regular stay in Italy and for the registration in the resident population registry.