This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.


On this page you will find answers to frequently asked questions. We also advise you to check the FAQ page on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

  • Visas
  • Passports
  • Citizenship
  • General information



I would like to go to Italy, what type of visa do I need?

On this page it is possible to carry out a targeted search. Based on your nationality, country of residence, the reasons for your visit and the duration of your stay, the system will confirm whether or not you will require an entry visa for Italy. You may find the various visa application forms here.

Furthermore, we remind you that the Consular Office of the Italian Embassy has jurisdiction only for the City of Ottawa, the counties of Carleton, Dundas, Glengarry, Grenville, Prescott, Russell and Stormont, as well as the Outaouais region (Québec).

If you live outside this area, we invite you to contact the appropriate consulate.

  • The Consulate General in Toronto has jurisdiction for the rest of the Province of Ontario, for the Province of Manitoba and the Northwest Territories.
  • The Consulate General in Montréal has jurisdiction for the Provinces of Quebec (except the Outaouais region), Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and for the Territory of Nunavut.
  • The Consulate General in Vancouver is responsible for the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory.

I would like to come to Canada, do I need a visa?

If you are an Italian citizen who travels by plane for tourism or business purpose, you will need an eTA (electronic Travel Authorization). ETA is requested online and costs CAD 7. In order to apply for the eTA you will need a valid passport, an e-mail address and a credit card.

If you are an Italian citizen who is planning to move to Canada for purposes other than tourism, you may check the Immigration Refugees Citizenship Canada website for more information on visa types and entry procedures.



I lost my passport/ My passport has been stolen. What can I do?

The first thing to do is to go to a police station to file a complaint. The police will provide all the information necessary to complete the complaint procedure. The request for a new passport at the Embassy or Consulate may be initiated as soon as a copy of the police report has been received.

What are the necessary requirements and the procedure for obtaining a passport?

Only Italian citizens can apply for a passport; there is no minimum age for issuing a passport. The passport is issued by appointment only as it is necessary in order to take fingerprints. Appointments may be requested through the online booking portal Prenot@mi.  The release of the passport is subject to payment of the passport itself, and an administrative fee, for a total of CAD 171 (the cost varies quarterly, being subject to the exchange rate). The passport is issued on average (except for particularly urgent situations) in about 2 weeks, depending on the amount of requests to be processed by the office.

For detailed information on the required documents, please visit the PASSPORTS AND SERVICES / PASSPORTS page of this website.

Can I request an identity card?

No, the Offices outside the European Union do not issue identity cards.



I have just arrived in Canada: what are the first steps to take?

To find out what services are available for Italian citizens who have emigrated to Canada, we recommend you to visit Fast It, the portal of the consular services, dedicated to Italian citizens residing abroad.

What are the duties of an Italian citizen residing abroad?

The main duties of Italian citizens residing abroad are:

  • register with the A.I.R.E. (Register of Italians residing abroad), if you reside abroad for a period of time equal to or greater than 12 months;
  • communicate their updated address to the Consulate or to the appropriate Consular Registry;
  • keep their civil status up to date at the Consulate or the appropriate Consular Office.

In Italy there are no electoral obligations. According to the Italian Constitution, the vote is a “civic duty” of the citizen, but the citizen who does not vote is not subject to any legal sanction.

For more information on the A.I.R.E., click here.

Does the Embassy offer job opportunities?

Yes. The Embassy of Italy in Ottawa offers opportunities for quarterly internships and, also, job opportunities, advertised through our website.

  • Internships

It is possible to apply for a three-month internship at the Italian Embassy in Ottawa through the MAECI – MIUR – CRUI Internship Program. The result of an agreement signed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Ministry of University and Research Education, and CRUI Foundation for Italian Universities, the program is dedicated to students and new graduates. The initiative is aimed at integrating the university training course and at providing trainees with a direct and concrete knowledge of the institutional activities carried out by MAECI within the framework of its international activities. The applications are open three times a year.

  • Work

Locally engaged staff (LES) is hired for an indefinite period exclusively on the basis of public competitions; the notice is advertised on this website. One of the requirements to be admitted to the exams, besides the knowledge of Italian, is the residence in Canada for at least two years. The fixed-term employment contract (6 month term, renewable once only for an identical period), which is subject as well to a selection procedure advertised on our website, is exempted from the residence requirement.

More information on study, training and work opportunities offered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union and other international organizations can be obtained by clicking here.